Norwich Union

By the mid-1950s, R G Carter had become the largest building firm in Norfolk. Subsidiaries included Bullen’s, Fishers, Blackburn’s and Drayton Stone Pits. They employed 2,000 people.

One of the prestigious clients at this time was Norwich Union for whom the firm first constructed a block of offices and shops in Surrey Street, Norwich, followed two years later by new offices at 19 Upper King Street.

Norwich Union then announced major plans to redevelop the ‘island site’ bounded by Surrey Street, Westlegate and All Saints Green, the intention being to re-house 2,000 office staff in a new L-shaped block. Before work on that project began, Norwich Union showed its confidence in the company by appointing them as main contracts for an office block at the lower end of Surrey Street. The company completed this three months ahead of schedule in February 1957.

In 1958 the multi-million pound contract for the 190,000 square feet, ten-storey office block at All Saints Green for Norwich Union became the firm’s second contract in excess of a million pounds; the first had been won the previous year for a new factory in King’s Lynn for Campbell’s Soups.

R G Carter has continued to undertake projects for Norwich Union regularly ever since, recently with the construction of a new call centre at Broadlands Business Park, Norwich, in 2003 to which a state of the art restaurant was added in 2004. In 2007 R G Carter Group were awarded a craftsmanship award for restoration works in Norwich Union’s Surrey House offices.