The construction of the new garrison was a flagship project for the MoD and represented the largest defence Private Finance Initiative (PFI) accommodation scheme built.
The project was a phased programme, spanning four years, with R G Carter taking a significant role encompassing the construction of ten separate buildings.
The project was completed in three phases:
- Design and build construction of five new buildings: central education building; court martial centre; band accommodation building; community centre; multi-denominational place of worship.
- all buildings constructed from steel frame with either artificial interlocking slate roof covering over composite metal decking or standing seam aluminium roof.
- Design and construction of four large covered parking areas, storage facility, two storey administration office and vehicle inspection units.
- The buildings comprise steel frames on concrete pad foundations and precast concrete ground beams. The aluminium standing seam roofs with external façade clad with architectural lignacite blocks and composite cladding.
- Design and construction of a new car park and external landscaping.
- State of the art counter-terrorism measures
- Project handed over 21 weeks ahead of schedule
The military has declared the development, led by the main contractor Sir Robert McAlpine, to be a ‘first class facility’.
« Officers Mess Refurbishment