Delivery of the new vascular surgery operating theatre for the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital.
- The new facility has been formed by converting a rest room and two ancillary rooms from among a suite of existing theatres.
- The theatre is one of the most advanced, state-of-the-art facilities, fitted out to the highest levels of specification, with audio visual links to the training facility.
- The project was aimed not only at providing an additional operating theatre to ease the load on the existing theatres, but also to create one with the most up-to-date equipment and safety features to enable more operations in the cardiovascular field.
- The biggest challenge was undertaking the project whilst, the 16 theatre suites remained in full operation. Calling not only for careful and sterile segregation of the site, but also close and constant liaison with the theatre manager to avoid noise or disturbance at critical times.
- The site itself is situated on the third level of the hospital in an area with no external access and therefore required careful management of material and waste handling, brought in and out of the fully operational unit without disruption to the other theatres or hospital users.
- The coordination of the specialist installations, such as gases, electrics and communications, called for close and detailed liaison with suppliers. Careful planning was needed for bulky and large items to ensure hospital operations were not disturbed.
- R G Carter has worked with the Norwich & Norfolk University Hospital over an extensive period of time, working on a wide range of projects including; a large single storey extension to the angiography suite. The complete refurbishment of the former British Sugar research centre involving a complete strip out, reconfiguration of the floor plan layouts, the installation of new services and laboratory equipment together with new ceilings, floor coverings and decorations. Provision of a new body storage within the mortuary and the conversion of two new CT scanner room.
« MRIS Unit, Addenbrooke’s HospitalRoundwell Medical Centre »