R G Carter were asked to construct a teaching block, to house new classrooms for Modern Languages, Maths and English, along with an extension to the sports hall including new gymnasium and changing rooms.
- The works were carried out in a live educational environment requiring careful site management to minimise disruption to students and staff.
- The sports hall benefits from sprung floors, mirrored walls and a ballet barre for dance lessons.
- Refurbishment works were also carried out to the sixth form centre including the installation of a new state of the art sound and visual media system.
- A second phase of works saw extensive refurbishments to the existing science laboratory.
- The building also benefits from zinc rain screening and a Kalzip standing seam roof.
- The teaching block has electronically controlled louvres located in the curtain walling system which are programmed to ventilate and cool the teaching spaces, letting in fresh air as required.
- Vertical stacks located in the centre of the building act as chimneys drawing the hot air out of classrooms and pulling in cooler air from outside.
- Curtain walling makes the best use of natural light, whilst an external insulated render helps to conserve energy.
- R G Carter ran regular tours of the site for pupils and staff to show them activities such as formwork, reinforcing and pumped concrete pours.
« Cambridge University LibrarySixth Form Building, Woodbridge School »