The design and build contract to undertake the complete alteration and refurbishment of the Officers Mess Single Living Accommodation at RAF Marham, Norfolk.
The programme of work included the conversion of the existing bedrooms in the west wing in to 40 en-suite rooms and three one bedroom apartments with sitting rooms, along with alteration to 66 existing grade 3 and 4 rooms in the east wing to provide 50 grade 1 en-suite rooms, complete with public space.
- Significant additional work and potential programme delays were encountered after the discovery of asbestos and experiencing severe cold weather, which hampered the plastering and painting elements of the project. The works schedule was re-programmed to accommodate the additional works and ensure that the project was completed to the original programme.
- Careful consideration was made to eliminate FOD (foreign object damage). Control measures were put in place to keep the site clean and tidy, manage loose product and wrapping, etc. such as the use of covered skips.
- Client security and safety requirements were fully met, with personnel working on site security checked and permits issued for access, whilst temporary personnel were required to be escorted around base. Electricians competency were established by passing an electrical test, including MoD approval of their tools to work on site.
- The project fully conformed with MoD product selection criteria, stipulating the use of products that minimises the adverse environmental affect of projects by using recycled and recyclable products where available and avoiding products associated with the destruction of tropical rainforest, the threatening of animal species and the emission of pollutants or ozone depleting chemicals.
- Extensive use of local labour to support the local economy, with ethnic minority and disability groups fully represented, as well as promoting the employment and training of females in the construction industry.
- A handover ceremony was conducted with the opening ceremony performed by Air Marshall Simon Bryant CBE MA BA RAF. In attendance from R G Carter was Director Peter Smith, Senior Contracts Manager Darren Vincent, Assistant Contracts Manager Elizabeth Stratton and Site Manager Paul Davis.
Major Mick Wright, RAF Marham.
“R G Carter has performed all tasks in a positive, professional manner with no problem being too large. They have produced a high quality of work throughout based on the no defects policy, and I would recommend them to any potential MoD clients to complete similar works.”
« Barrack Block RefurbishmentColchester Garrison »