Experienced and Intermediate Estimators
Cambridge - Permanent - Monday - Friday
R G Carter Cambridge are seeking to recruit an Experienced Estimator and an Intermediate Estimator to join their established team of professionals, based in their Cambridge office. The successful candidate will be dealing with a diverse range of interesting and challenging projects across multiple sectors. For this role you will need to be ambitious, self motivated and able to work both independently and within our team of like minded individuals. We can support those seeking to develop their career and would provide guidance and academic support. R G Carter is an equal opportunities employer.
- Producing cost plans from RIBA stage 0 (elementally on historic data) to stage 3 (fully measured and rated). Ideally the ability to price from first principals.
- Taking-off from drawings using Autodesk Design Review to produce detailed cost plans and quantity checks on the produced BQs
- Leading the tender enquiry process
- Allocation of elemental BQ items into works packages
- Subcontractor comparisons & identifying scope gaps
- Working with the supply chain to provide value engineering options
- Pricing of site preliminaries
- Providing information on key risks and opportunities at tender settlement
- Using BCIS data to elementally benchmark, TPIs for inflation forecasting & rebasing with location factorisation
- Pricing competitive tenders under the direction of the estimating director
- Reviewing contract and other commercial data
- Attending client meetings
- Presenting tender information to project teams
- Reviewing tender documents prior to pricing and completing ‘Enquiry Checklist’ to determine pricing level
- Taking off groundwork’s packages
- Completing ‘Risk and Opportunity’ Registers
- Liaising with buying department to obtain material quotations
- Pricing groundworks on Labour, Plant and Materials basis for Pre-Construction Managers review
- Tender adjudication with Commercial Director
- Pricing variations and additions
- Creating material lists and obtaining and comparing quotations
- Conducting site visits
Key Skills & Knowledge
- Good organisation skills
- Computer skills – need to be proficient on Microsoft Office packages (preferably with experience of the 2010 suite – Word, Excel, Outlook). Experience with Conquest and Excel estimating software is desired.
- Excellent spoken and written English
- A good, clear telephone manner is essential as there will be client interface during the course of the daily works, including Teams meetings.
- Demonstrated a strong work ethic throughout there career is essential.
- Strong numeracy skills with the ability to think commercially
- Team player, ability to work under pressure & strong time management skills
Why join us?
For a century, we have provided thousands of individuals with rewarding and fulfilling careers. To ‘build for the future’, we need to recruit and employ talented people who share our values.
At R G Carter, our six key values reflect what we stand for and deliver as a business, and define our unique culture. To view our Values in full click here.
Awards & Accreditations
Offering experience and specialist knowledge in Construction, Engineering and Manufacturing, we deliver award winning, innovative projects, for both public and private clients and across a wide range of sectors.
What we offer
A career path
We offer a variety of career paths that will challenge and inspire you to fulfil your ambition. If you are just starting your career, developing your skills or you are experienced in your trade or profession, we can offer you the next step.
Here are some examples of our team, who have built their career at R G Carter:
Will Loades, Site Foreman
Will excelled as a bricklayer to the extent that he took part in the national SkillBuild competition making him one of the best bricklayers in the country at the time. Achieving an NVQ level 4 in Site Management at a very young age, he went on to manage some very prestigious contracts, including large domestic contracts for important clients. He has also often been seconded to our Norwich company due to his knowledge of traditional building skills and materials.
Will is currently studying for a level 6 qualification in Site Management and his current General Manager says that Will is Senior Management material.
Gary Mann, Property Surveyor
Gary was one of the youngest apprentice carpenters to join R G Carter at our Drayton office. Becoming an established and competent carpenter in a short space of time, he quickly developed an interest in Site management, running sites in Building Solutions and later on to main contracts. Before long he became a fully-fledged Site Manager, able to take responsibility for any size contract and was recently Project Manager on the conversion of St Stephens Towers in Norwich.
Continuing to enhance his career with the Firm, Gary is now a Surveyor within our Property Development team.
Will Robinson, Project Manager
Will joined the R G Carter as an apprentice bricklayer back in 2001. After achieving his level two and level three qualifications, he was quick to move into Site Management and establish himself as a competent manager, running large contracts. Many prestigious projects have since been managed by Will, including Ryle Yard at the North West Cambridge Development.
Will also studied and achieved an NVQ in Senior Site Management as well as a NEBOSH qualification in Health and Safety and now works as a project manager looking after the local government school’s framework.
Mario Rackham, Director and General Manager
Mario Rackham started his career as a carpenter, enrolling direct from school on an apprenticeship with the Firm. Further to becoming expert in his craft trade, he quickly progressed to becoming a Site Manager, and onto Contracts Manager, working on a variety of high profile projects.
Showing skills within client liaison, construction and people, Mario became Director and General Manager, and is now responsible for the delivery and management of our Drayton office and construction projects across the Norfolk area.
Lindsey Howard, Group Marketing Co-ordinator.
Starting in Office Administration within Corporate and Finance, Lindsey’s attention to detail, organisational and accuracy skills soon became apparent, enabling her to develop a new role as Group Insurance Administrator. Managing claims for the Firm, the role developed Lindsey’s written communication skills and data reporting, highlighting a clear Marketing path to fulfil her creative potential.
Less than ten years with the business, Lindsey became Group Marketing Co-ordinator, allowing her flair for communication, presentation and analysis to flourish. The role continues to develop both her design and digital skills, where she now develops a variety of marketing materials and website and social media content.
We are committed to ensuring all our colleagues, at every level, have opportunities to develop their skills, knowledge and abilities. By doing this we can ensure that you are equipped with the tools to capitalise on the many and varied opportunities which can maximise your potential within the Group and ‘build your future’.
This is a selection of recognised training and development bodies, that we currently work with:
|Attleborough||Senior Estimator||More Info|
|Kings Lynn||Escort/Gateman/Banksman/General Labourer||More Info|
|Cambridge||Experienced and Intermediate Estimators||More Info|
|Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire or Hertfordshire||Site Manager/Site Agent||More Info|
|Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire or Hertfordshire||Contract Managers and Construction Project Managers||More Info|
|Thetford||ICT Technician||More Info|
|Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire & Hertfordshire||SHE Advisor||More Info|
|Eastern Region||Quantity Surveying Opportunities||More Info|