Ipswich - Permanent Position - Monday - Friday
Our team based in Ipswich are seeking to strengthen their award winning and successful team by recruiting a Pre-construction Planner to manage the pre-construction stage of project planning, contributing positively to winning new work for the RGC business. This is a role that requires an ability to multi-task, prioritise, strategise, work under pressure and to demanding deadlines.
- Manage the planning process in line with the Carter Information Management System
- Provide planning support to the Preconstruction team ensuring all programme, logistics and delivery aspects are compliant
- Engage with the Construction Director/Manager to discuss options, sequence, and methodology
- Analyse Tender documents and identify required planning responses
- Investigate and recommend alternative and innovative solutions with change impact assessment
- Chair and minute programme, logistic and delivery workshops
- Assess programme and delivery risks and recommend mitigation
- Identify all required temporary works and provide a schedule for Carter Design Temporary Works Engineer
- Engage with the supply chain to verify programme issues.
- Assess safety risks and compile a suitable Method Statement for project delivery.
- Support and contribute to the tender quality submission with written responses to tender questions
- Provide planning input to the tender submission primarily a whole life programme, logistics plan and method statement
- Support 4D digital aspects of tender evaluation and submission
- Provide a planning handover pack for the delivery team
Key Skills & Knowledge
- Technical knowledge relevant to job role
- Contractually aware
- Full understanding of Planning principles
- Understanding and demonstrable skills in the use of Asta Programme software
- 4D planning experience is desirable however training can be arranged
- Sets appropriate goals for self
- Communicates with colleagues and clients in a warm and persuasive way both formally and informally. Alters style and manner to suit audience
- Plans ahead, prioritise tasks and monitors progress against plan, making alterations where necessary and organises required resources
- Considers potential problems in advance and identifies opportunities and threats through analysing trends. Guides others in implementing solutions
- Ensures that all viewpoints are considered and gains agreement on mutually acceptable outcomes, whilst maintaining the interests of the business
- Assesses risk and consequence before making a judgement on available evidence and ensures that final decision is implemented
- Encourages, supports and values contributions of others, shares credit and responds positively to requests for help. Shares knowledge
- Recognised by others as having useful skills and knowledge, which are readily shared. Keeps up to date with new aspects of job role
- Monitors customer satisfaction and identifies areas for improvement
- Understands the market in which the company operates. Able to relate company commercial strategy to own activities
- Monitors and controls cost against budget
- HNC/BTEC Higher Diploma or Degree
Stage 1 – CV Review
Stage 2 – Assessment
Stage 3 – Presentation and Interview
Why join us?
For a century, we have provided thousands of individuals with rewarding and fulfilling careers. To ‘build for the future’, we need to recruit and employ talented people who share our values.
At R G Carter, our six key values reflect what we stand for and deliver as a business, and define our unique culture. To view our Values in full click here.
Awards & Accreditations
Offering experience and specialist knowledge in Construction, Engineering and Manufacturing, we deliver award winning, innovative projects, for both public and private clients and across a wide range of sectors.
What we offer
A career path
We offer a variety of career paths that will challenge and inspire you to fulfil your ambition. If you are just starting your career, developing your skills or you are experienced in your trade or profession, we can offer you the next step.
Here are some examples of our team, who have built their career at R G Carter:
Will Loades, Site Foreman
Will excelled as a bricklayer to the extent that he took part in the national SkillBuild competition making him one of the best bricklayers in the country at the time. Achieving an NVQ level 4 in Site Management at a very young age, he went on to manage some very prestigious contracts, including large domestic contracts for important clients. He has also often been seconded to our Norwich company due to his knowledge of traditional building skills and materials.
Will is currently studying for a level 6 qualification in Site Management and his current General Manager says that Will is Senior Management material.
Gary Mann, Property Surveyor
Gary was one of the youngest apprentice carpenters to join R G Carter at our Drayton office. Becoming an established and competent carpenter in a short space of time, he quickly developed an interest in Site management, running sites in Building Solutions and later on to main contracts. Before long he became a fully-fledged Site Manager, able to take responsibility for any size contract and was recently Project Manager on the conversion of St Stephens Towers in Norwich.
Continuing to enhance his career with the Firm, Gary is now a Surveyor within our Property Development team.
Will Robinson, Project Manager
Will joined the R G Carter as an apprentice bricklayer back in 2001. After achieving his level two and level three qualifications, he was quick to move into Site Management and establish himself as a competent manager, running large contracts. Many prestigious projects have since been managed by Will, including Ryle Yard at the North West Cambridge Development.
Will also studied and achieved an NVQ in Senior Site Management as well as a NEBOSH qualification in Health and Safety and now works as a project manager looking after the local government school’s framework.
Mario Rackham, Director and General Manager
Mario Rackham started his career as a carpenter, enrolling direct from school on an apprenticeship with the Firm. Further to becoming expert in his craft trade, he quickly progressed to becoming a Site Manager, and onto Contracts Manager, working on a variety of high profile projects.
Showing skills within client liaison, construction and people, Mario became Director and General Manager, and is now responsible for the delivery and management of our Drayton office and construction projects across the Norfolk area.
Lindsey Howard, Group Marketing Co-ordinator.
Starting in Office Administration within Corporate and Finance, Lindsey’s attention to detail, organisational and accuracy skills soon became apparent, enabling her to develop a new role as Group Insurance Administrator. Managing claims for the Firm, the role developed Lindsey’s written communication skills and data reporting, highlighting a clear Marketing path to fulfil her creative potential.
Less than ten years with the business, Lindsey became Group Marketing Co-ordinator, allowing her flair for communication, presentation and analysis to flourish. The role continues to develop both her design and digital skills, where she now develops a variety of marketing materials and website and social media content.
We are committed to ensuring all our colleagues, at every level, have opportunities to develop their skills, knowledge and abilities. By doing this we can ensure that you are equipped with the tools to capitalise on the many and varied opportunities which can maximise your potential within the Group and ‘build your future’.
This is a selection of recognised training and development bodies, that we currently work with:
|Cambridge||Administrative Assistant / Receptionist||More Info|
|Ipswich||Pre-construction Planner||More Info|
|Ipswich||Bid / Proposal Writer||More Info|
|Attleborough||Senior Estimator||More Info|
|Kings Lynn||Escort/Gateman/Banksman/General Labourer||More Info|
|Cambridge||Experienced and Intermediate Estimators||More Info|
|Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire or Hertfordshire||Site Manager/Site Agent||More Info|
|Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire or Hertfordshire||Contract Managers and Construction Project Managers||More Info|
|Thetford||ICT Technician||More Info|
|Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire & Hertfordshire||SHE Advisor||More Info|
|Eastern Region||Quantity Surveying Opportunities||More Info|