Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire & Hertfordshire - Permanent - Monday - Friday
To ensure the consistent implementation and progression of Safety, Health and Environmental policies and procedures. Promote a strong and consistent health and safety culture through Group companies and our Supply chain. Advise, educate and engage with all personnel at all levels on matters of SHE. You will be assigned a geographical area in which to carry out the bulk of your work. You will be allocated to a number of Group companies as their point of contact within the SHE Department for all matters relating to health and safety.
- To carry out Site Inspections and Audits in line with current Group Policy and legislation to identify levels of compliance being adopted on Site. Advise and educate our teams towards the correct/suitable methods of work
- To assist and support SHE Department and its team members in delivering its service in all geographical areas and/or operating companies when necessary
- Provide practical guidance and advice to all levels of staff and supply chain
- To maintain up to date knowledge of SHE Legislation, Company Policies and Procedure and support colleagues in their knowledge and application these
- To liaise with your assigned Group Companies Senior Management Teams, offering SHE advice as necessary and attending regular SHE Meetings with the companies
- To produce periodic reports, based on Group Company SHE performance under your remit. To contribute towards the Quarterly Reports produced for all other periods as required
- To be a point of liaison between your Group Company and the Health and Safety Executive when required
- To lead Accident/Incident Investigations for your Area/Group Company, liaising with all parties and producing a full report and recommendations as per our Company Policy
- To assist in the production of Safety Alerts, Safety Matters Posters, SHE communications, Group policies and procedures and any other publication as required
- To assist your assigned Group Company with the production of site documentation as necessary
- To communicate regularly with the SHE Administrator/other SHE Advisors regarding your movements and progress
- To assist with pre-tender/post-tender presentations or offer SHE assistance to our Project/Contract Managers and Estimating teams
- It is essential that you have experience within the Construction Industry, including at least 2 years on site experience. Trade qualifications or experience in a trade discipline would be a distinct advantage. You should also hold as a minimum:
- NEBOSH General Certificate
- NEBOSH Construction Certificate
- Five day SMSTS
- First Aid Certificate
- Asbestos Awareness (minimum) and Asbestos Management
- Valid CSCS Card appropriate to your discipline.
Why join us?
For a century, we have provided thousands of individuals with rewarding and fulfilling careers. To ‘build for the future’, we need to recruit and employ talented people who share our values.
At R G Carter, our six key values reflect what we stand for and deliver as a business, and define our unique culture. To view our Values in full click here.
Awards & Accreditations
Offering experience and specialist knowledge in Construction, Engineering and Manufacturing, we deliver award winning, innovative projects, for both public and private clients and across a wide range of sectors.
What we offer
A career path
We offer a variety of career paths that will challenge and inspire you to fulfil your ambition. If you are just starting your career, developing your skills or you are experienced in your trade or profession, we can offer you the next step.
Here are some examples of our team, who have built their career at R G Carter:
Will Loades, Site Foreman
Will excelled as a bricklayer to the extent that he took part in the national SkillBuild competition making him one of the best bricklayers in the country at the time. Achieving an NVQ level 4 in Site Management at a very young age, he went on to manage some very prestigious contracts, including large domestic contracts for important clients. He has also often been seconded to our Norwich company due to his knowledge of traditional building skills and materials.
Will is currently studying for a level 6 qualification in Site Management and his current General Manager says that Will is Senior Management material.
Gary Mann, Property Surveyor
Gary was one of the youngest apprentice carpenters to join R G Carter at our Drayton office. Becoming an established and competent carpenter in a short space of time, he quickly developed an interest in Site management, running sites in Building Solutions and later on to main contracts. Before long he became a fully-fledged Site Manager, able to take responsibility for any size contract and was recently Project Manager on the conversion of St Stephens Towers in Norwich.
Continuing to enhance his career with the Firm, Gary is now a Surveyor within our Property Development team.
Will Robinson, Project Manager
Will joined the R G Carter as an apprentice bricklayer back in 2001. After achieving his level two and level three qualifications, he was quick to move into Site Management and establish himself as a competent manager, running large contracts. Many prestigious projects have since been managed by Will, including Ryle Yard at the North West Cambridge Development.
Will also studied and achieved an NVQ in Senior Site Management as well as a NEBOSH qualification in Health and Safety and now works as a project manager looking after the local government school’s framework.
Mario Rackham, Director and General Manager
Mario Rackham started his career as a carpenter, enrolling direct from school on an apprenticeship with the Firm. Further to becoming expert in his craft trade, he quickly progressed to becoming a Site Manager, and onto Contracts Manager, working on a variety of high profile projects.
Showing skills within client liaison, construction and people, Mario became Director and General Manager, and is now responsible for the delivery and management of our Drayton office and construction projects across the Norfolk area.
Lindsey Howard, Group Marketing Co-ordinator.
Starting in Office Administration within Corporate and Finance, Lindsey’s attention to detail, organisational and accuracy skills soon became apparent, enabling her to develop a new role as Group Insurance Administrator. Managing claims for the Firm, the role developed Lindsey’s written communication skills and data reporting, highlighting a clear Marketing path to fulfil her creative potential.
Less than ten years with the business, Lindsey became Group Marketing Co-ordinator, allowing her flair for communication, presentation and analysis to flourish. The role continues to develop both her design and digital skills, where she now develops a variety of marketing materials and website and social media content.
We are committed to ensuring all our colleagues, at every level, have opportunities to develop their skills, knowledge and abilities. By doing this we can ensure that you are equipped with the tools to capitalise on the many and varied opportunities which can maximise your potential within the Group and ‘build your future’.
This is a selection of recognised training and development bodies, that we currently work with:
|Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire or Hertfordshire||Site Manager/Site Agent||More Info|
|Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire or Hertfordshire||Contract Managers and Construction Project Managers||More Info|
|Thetford||ICT Technician||More Info|
|Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire & Hertfordshire||SHE Advisor||More Info|
|Eastern Region||Quantity Surveying Opportunities||More Info|
|Thetford, Norfolk||Hire Controller||More Info|