The careful restoration of grade 1 listed Forty Hall in Enfield is now complete.
The Jacobean mansion has been carefully restored to its former glory, replacing materials like for like. The oak structure has been repaired and fine decorative plaster mouldings and cornices have been preserved.
Original fire places have been reopened, as well as cooking ranges. Repairs have been made to the stonework, brickwork and leadwork.
The house has also been made fully accessible for the first time with the addition of a lift and a glazed courtyard atrium has also been constructed.
The resurrected heritage building will become a living museum, arts centre, education centre and functions hall. There will also be an area dedicated to telling the story of Elsying Palace, a major royal residence during the Tudor period located on the grounds of Forty Hall, which fell into disuse.
Throughout the project archaeological works have taken place and digs uncovered a fragment of one of the first high status glazed English tiles used by royalty to highlight their importance. It would have been made in Penn, Buckinghamshire, between 1350 and 1390.
The hall was built by Sir Nicholas Rainton, former Lord Mayor of London, between 1629 and 1632 and some of the rooms have been re-created to look as they would have done when he lived in them.
A replica of the original staircase has been constructed, using six tonnes of oak.
The development was funded by Enfield Council and the Heritage Lottery Fund, and we worked closely with heritage consultants and local archaeologists throughout the duration of the contract.
« St Andrews Church