The creation of a modern, high specification, yet robust facility that conformed to high DREAM ratings. R G Carter was appointed to develop the design from initial concept through to project delivery.
- The facility consists of a four bay tender house, administrative offices, training centre, specialist workshops, crew day room, accommodation for 10 personnel, and an operations room with viewing gallery overlooking the runways.
- External works included the construction of a fire simulation tower and 30,000 litre emergency water supply tank.
- The scheme also incorporates the latest counter terrorism methods.
- Extensive value engineering design analysis resulted in the introduction of a naturally ventilated environmental management system and an alternative lift system making significant savings without compromising safety or comfort.
- The building management system is interconnected with the ‘alert’ status, ensuring that once an alarm is raised, the vehicles are primed, bay doors opened and lighting switched on to minimise operational response times.
- Due to its close proximity to air traffic and jet noise, special consideration needed to be made to reduce the impact of external noise disturbance. Among the design features to achieve the required performance levels were dense block work, acoustic ceilings and purpose made triple glazed windows.
- Construction focused on sustainable, recycleable and recycled materials and conformity to DREAM to ensure the building achieved high levels in both thermal and acoustic performance.
- The natural ventilation system introduced as part of the overall value management of the project interacts with the building management system to prevent the build up of exhaust fumes by monitoring ambient temperatures and CO² levels, automatically opening or closing the fast action bay doors to keep a constant, naturally ventilated environment.
- The external lighting of the building has been designed to minimise light pollution in accordance with the ‘dark sky scheme’ and is linked to a base wide circuit to cut all lighting in emergency situations.