In 1956, R G Carter deployed its very first tower crane, leading the way in the use of mechanical plant.
Having already completed a 65,000 sq ft extension for Laurence & Scott Electromotors Ltd, this new crane was a welcome addition in their next project; an Office Building and Drawing office on Kerrison Road, Norwich.
Director Billy Hunter remembers in his records that “No one wanted to go out along the jib, as it was just so high!”. A time when teams were certainly not used to such heights on site.
To see more about our Centenary journey go to: