The Colin Forbes Building has now been handed over to the University of Cambridge and will house the Sedgwick Museum’s geological collection under one roof.
Based at the Madingley Rise campus, and adjoining the existing A G Brighton Building, the building will also enhance the resources available to the Department of Earth Sciences.
The building includes a number of bespoke storage systems to cater for the extensive range of artefacts and specimens that will be located in the new facility. For example, the archive store contains 245 linear metres of adjustable shelving to house c.4000 purpose-built archive boxes. The Geological Collection store contains around 475, 4m high bays to accommodate approximately 1600 trays/drawers, plus heavy duty long beam shelving and over 4000 archive boxes!
To see more about the museum go to www.sedgwickmuseum.org