The project involved the design and construction of 271 residential apartments on the site of the former Norfolk and Norwich Hospital on St Stephens Road, in the heart of Norwich, mixing new build with the skills of conservation.
- The 19th Century hospital buildings were sympathetically converted.
- The developments range in height up to eight storeys.
- They feature a mixture of undercroft and multi-storey underground car parking.
- The scheme provides properties from single-bed apartments to penthouses.
- The new build elements of the development have taken full advantage of modern construction techniques such as tunnel form, along with off-site prefabricated bathroom pods.
- Four turrets flank the front of each wing, nicknamed ‘the Pepper Pots’, they are a distinct feature of the development and have been painstakingly restored to their original 1882 condition using imperial bricks and sash windows.
- Every apartment is provided with heat recovery/cooling units to comply with the latest building regulations.
National Building Excellence Awards Finalist in Best Housing – Large developer or development
« Mixed Tenure Development, Broadland Housing AssociationLuxury Homes, St George's Court »